Click here to go to Early and Co. website

Monday

Banking Moments of Truth, Session 2

Moments of Truth. Moments which may seem like small moments, but which can positively or negatively influence big decisions. In my last message I briefly referenced a Moment of Truth that happened to my wife and myself at a restaurant. Today I’ll throw out another Moment of Truth in the first of a series of Moments of Truth which happen every day in banking.

Someone calls the bank or a department in the bank, and asks to speak to (name). The telephone response from some bank employees is to simply ask, “Who’s calling?” What does that response mean to the customer or prospect calling the bank? Research tells us that many people have little or no positive or negative response. It also tells us that more than a small percentage of callers have the mental response that, “ If I’m the right person calling, I’ll get to speak to (name), if I’m not, I won’t get to speak to him/her.” Should the caller have that somewhat negative reaction to the bank staffer’s response? Probably not. Do many of them have it? Absolutely! It’s a Moment of Truth.

So what should the telephone responder say when the caller asks to speak to someone. Research tells us that the simple response, “ May I tell (name) who’s calling?”rarely evokes a negative response, and often evokes a positive one. It’s simple, it’s easy, and it’s a positive Moment of Truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment